Friday, October 10, 2008

Kansas Chicken.... A Diffrent Chicken Curry!!!


Kansas Chicken
Wondering whats with that name - Kansas Chicken??? What has Kansas, the central most state in United States Of America got to do with the name of an Indian Chicken Curry??? Well its not everyday that you get to scratch your head to name a yummy dish that you just finished making. :) But don't get me wrong on this, its not that I turned the magic wand and came up with this dish myself but its from the pages of my "Recipe Diary". Today I can say that I'm comfortable with cooking and to go a step further I have "iDayz", a food blog to my credit too. But it has not always been so, in the days before my wedding there wasn't a though as cooking that would get me all tensed up. Not that I was totally ignorant to cooking all those years but the though of not having my mom & beloveds around me to clear my seemingly endless doubts that would sprout each time I decide to put my culinary skills to test. And then, as most of you would have had it, I decided my best way would be write down every possible recipe that come my way from the mom & aunts. And when the time finally came to put my culinary skills to test I turned up my recipe diary, right to this recipe which Yeah this was the very first dish that I cooked for my sweet-heart. Simplicity to cook... yet so very different from the usual bandwagon of chicken curries.

You'll Need:

For The Marinade:
Chicken, boneless pieces...
Yogurt.... 4 tbsp
Turmeric... 1/2 tsp
Salt... to taste.

For The Masala:

Onions, finely chopped... 2 medium no:s
Ginger, finely chopped.... 1 inch piece
Garlic, minced.... 5 to 6 cloves
Green Chillies, finely chopped... 2 no:s
Garam Masala.... 1 tsp
Chilies Powder.... 2 1/2 tsp
Turmeric Powder.... 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder(a little)... 1/2 tsp
Tomatoes, pureed... 2 medium no:s
Curry Leaves... 2 sprig
Oil... as required.

Here Is How:

1. Marinate small pieces of chicken with curd, turmeric & salt for 10 to 15 minutes.

2. Transfer the marinated chicken pieces, along with the marinade, into a wok and heat on medium-low heat till water starts oozing out and the chicken reaches a half-boil. Remove from the heat and strain the chicken pieces from the chicken stock and reserve the stock for later use in the recipe.

3. Pour the oil into a saute pan and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the half-boiled chicken pieces and shallow fry till they starts to brown slightly. Keep the chicken pieces aside.

4. Into the remaining oil, add the chopped onions & salt. Stir & saute until the onion is translucent. Add ginger, garlic and green chillies and let them sweat for a minute or two. Add chili powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder and stir till the raw smell goes and then add the pureed tomatoes and keep stirring till oil separates.

5. Add the reserved chicken stock and bring to a simmer & then add the fried chicken pieces. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and cook for 5 minutes, or until the chicken are just cooked through. Remove the lid, stir once or twice, taste for salt, and serve.

Recipe Source : Dearest Daisy Chechi

1 comment:

  1. I prepared this for dinner tonight and came out fabulous..splendid aroma and taste..but didnt look anything like what your pic shows:)

    ReplyDelete